Travel Reimbursement and Expenses Policy
- It is the policy of the Humanity & Health Foundation to provide reimbursement for employees and volunteer board members for pre-approved travel-related expenses, including transportation, hotels, and food. These expenses must be reasonable and necessary, as well as job-related, and must be pre-approved in writing by [the Executive Director/ Board of Directors].
- Humanity & Health Foundation will only reimburse for pre-approved travel-related expenses when the employee provides documentation of the expense with receipts from purchases or other verifiable documentation.
- Employees seeking reimbursement must complete the “Travel Reimbursement Request form.” The form must be fully and accurately completed, and submitted to the [Executive Director /Board of Directors.] All receipts should be scanned/attached and submitted with the form.
- Local travel will be reimbursed through petty cash in accordance with applicable petty cash policies and procedures. This includes reimbursement for transportation by taxi and/or public transportation, and, when pre-approved, use of an employee’s personal automobile. [Name of Nonprofit] will reimburse employees for the use of their personal automobile in accordance with the federally approved mileage rate for business use of personal vehicles.
- Reimbursement of meals when there is no overnight travel should be paid by the organization only when the meal has a defined business purpose.
- For out-of-area travel, Humanity & Health Foundation will reimburse all pre-approved travel-related actual costs, such as hotel accommodations, transportation to and from the destination, including airline, train, or bus tickets, taxicab fares, meals, and gratuities, etc.
- [optional: A per diem amount limited to the federally approved per diem limits will be provided to employees for any overnight business travel.]